Dr Andrew Purcell MB BCh BAO MA (Dubl.) FCAI DPM FFPMCAI
Consultant in Anaesthesiology and Pain Medicine
Education / Credentials / Qualifications:
- Fellow of the Faculty of Pain Medicine, College of Anaesthesiologists of Ireland (FFPMCAI)
- Completion of Specialist Training in Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine, College of Anaesthesiologists of Ireland (CSCST)
- Diploma in Pain Management, Faculty of Pain Medicine (DPM)
- Fellowship of College of Anaesthesiologists of Ireland (FCAI)
- MA (Dubl.), Trinity College Dublin
- Membership of College of Anaesthesiologists of Ireland (MCAI)
- MB BCh BAO, UCD
- BSc (Pharm.), Trinity College Dublin
Speciality / Department:
Anaesthesiology and Pain Medicine
Acute and chronic pain management
Professional Experience / Previous Hospitals:
Dr Purcell is on the specialist division of the register of the medical council of Ireland (Anaesthesiology).
Membership in professional/scientific societies:
- Fellow of the Faculty of Pain Medicine, Ireland (FFPMCAI)
- Fellow of the College of Anaesthesiologists of Ireland (FCAI)
- International Pain & Spine Intervention Society (IPSIS)
- European Pain Federation (EFIC)
- Irish Pain Society (IPS)
- European Society of Regional Anaesthesia (ESRA)
- Irish Society of Regional Anaesthesia (ISRA)
- Association of Anaesthetists (AAGBI)
Dr. Purcell has numerous publications in peer-reviewed, academic journals in the fields of anaesthesiology, critical care and pain medicine. A detailed, up to date list of Dr. Purcell’s academic publications can be found at https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7557-8670.
Other general information:
Dr Purcell is a UCD medical graduate. He also holds a pharmacy qualification from Trinity College Dublin. Prior to qualifying as a medical doctor he worked as a clinical pharmacist in Ireland and the UK.
He completed his anaesthesiology, critical care and pain medicine specialist training with the College of Anaesthesiologists of Ireland (CAI). Dr Purcell has completed further advanced, specialist training in pain medicine with the Faculty of Pain Medicine, CAI, for which he was awarded fellowship status in 2022 having placed 1st in the FFPMCAI examinations. He completed his pain medicine fellowship training in Dublin, Ireland, during which time he trained in Tallaght University Hospital, St. Vincent’s University Hospital and Beaumont Hospital. He was appointed as a consultant in anaesthesiology and pain medicine in SIVUH in 2022.
In addition to his role providing anaesthesiology care to patients undergoing surgery in SIVUH he is also an integral part of the Dept. of Pain Medicine in SIVUH. He is a specialist in interventional pain management techniques and provides interventional treatments as part of a multidisciplinary, holistic approach to chronic pain conditions including chronic musculoskeletal pain, chronic neuropathic pain, chronic post-surgical pain, chronic cancer pain, chronic visceral pain and chronic orofacial/headache pain.
Dr Purcell conducts his private practice from the Mater Private Network, Cork and private referrals can be directed to email@example.com .