Dr. Cormac F. Mullins MB, BCh, BAO (Hons), FCAI, DPMCAI, MScHSM
Consultant in Pain Medicine and Anaesthesiology
South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital & Cork University Hospital
Private Consults: email@example.com
Postal address: Dr. Cormac Mullins, Pain Management Unit, South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Old Blackrock Road, Ballintemple, Cork, T12 X23H
· Holistic whole-person approach to pain management
including multidisciplinary and interventional treatment
- International fellowship and consultant experience in world-renowned pain management centre Guy’s and St. Thomas’s NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
- Extensive experience in spinal cord stimulation modalities and implantable therapies
- Fellowship training in headache and facial pain assessment including botox and other interventional treatments
- Expertise in x-ray guided and ultrasound guided interventional procedures including epidural steroid injections, radiofrequency denervation, selective nerve root blocks, peripheral nerve blocks and plexus blocks
- Experience in specialised treatment of back pain, neck pain, cancer pain, pelvic pain, neuropathic pain, limb pain, joint pain and visceral pain
- Multiple international research publications and presentations
- Master’s qualification in health services management
Education and Training
School: St. Joseph’s Patrician College (The Bish), Galway
University: Trinity College Dublin
Postgraduate Training: College of Anaesthesiologists of Ireland
Fellowship Training: Guy’s and St. Thomas’s NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
& St. James’s Hospital Dublin
- Specialist Register of Irish Medical Council 2021
- Completion of Specialist Training - College of Anaesthesiologist of Ireland 2021
- Fellowship of College of Anaesthesiologist of Ireland (FCAI) - College of Anaesthesiologist of Ireland 2019
- Masters in Health Services Management (Distinction for thesis) – Trinity College Dublin 2019
- Diploma in Pain Management College of Anaesthesiologist of Ireland (FCAI) - College of Anaesthesiologist of Ireland 2018
- MB, BAO, BCh (Hons) – Trinity College Dublin 2012
1. Mullins CF, Bak B, Moore DM. Pre-outpatient group education and assessment in chronic pain: a systematic review. Pain Medicine 2021. DOI: 10.1093/pm/pnab036
2. Mullins, CF
Pain relief and recovery after breast cancer surgery: translating best evidence into practice. Anaesthesia 2021 Feb;76(2):287. Epub 2020 Oct 20. PMID: 33080055 DOI: 10.1111/anae.15279
3. Mullins CF, Adnan Al-Kaisy, Stephany Harris, Joseph Palumbo, David Pang, Stefano Palmisani, Omar Al-Kaisy, Sam Wesley, Jonathan Royds, Thomas Yearwood, Thomas Smith.
A retrospective review of outcomes after at least two years following combined dorsal column and dorsal root ganglion stimulation (abstract). Neuromodulation October 2022. DOI: 10.1016/j.neurom.2022.08.094
4. Adnan Al-Kaisy, Giorgio Lambru, Stefano Palmisani, CF Mullins, Joseph Palumbo, David Pang, Jonathan Royds, Samuel Wesley, Omar Al-Kaisy, Thomas Yearwood.
C1/C2 High Cervical Spinal Cord Stimulation in Refractory Facial Pain: A Retrospective, Single-Center Case Series (abstract). Neuromodulation July 2022. DOI: 10.1016/j.neurom.2022.02.054
5. Adnan Al-Kaisy, David Pang, Jonathan Royds, Stefano Palmisani, CF Mullins, Joseph Palumbo, Alba Izquierdo-Barras, Karen Sanderson, Samuel Wesley, Omar Al-Kaisy, Stephen Ward.
Transgrade Multimodal Neuromodulation of Dorsal Root Ganglion Ensemble for Refractory Neuropathic Pain: DRGON Study (abstract). Neuromodulation July 2022. DOI: 10.1016/j.neurom.2022.02.116.
6. Mullins CF, Harmon D, O’Connor TC. Quantifying the Impact of COVID-19 on Chronic Pain Services in the Republic of Ireland. Irish Journal of Medical Science 2021. DOI: 10.1007/s11845-021-02509-2
7. Mullins CF, ffrench-O'Carroll R, Lane J, et al. Sharing the pain: an observational analysis of Twitter and pain in Ireland. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine 2020;45:597-602. PMID: 32503862 DOI: 10.1136/rapm-2020-101547
8. Mullins CF, Coughlan JJ. Noise in medical decision making: a silent epidemic? Postgrad Med J. 2022 Mar 8:postgradmedj-2022-141582. doi:10.1136/postgradmedj-2022-141582
9. Mullins CF, Free R, Kelly D, Porter JM. A desktop systems analysis of critical incidents within a university hospital department of anaesthesia. Irish Journal of Medical Science 2021. DOI : 10.1007/s11845-021-02766-1
10. Mullins CF, Coughlan J. A Kafkaesque Pandemic. BMJ Medical Humanities Blog 23 Jun 2020. https://blogs.bmj.com/medical-humanities/2020/06/23/a-kafkaesque-pandemic/
11. Mullins CF, Walsh, S., Rooney, A. et al. A preliminary prospective observational study of the effectiveness of high-concentration capsaicin cutaneous patch in the management of chronic post-surgical neuropathic pain. Ir J Med Sci (2021). DOI: 10.1007/s11845-021-02632-
12. Coughlan J, Mullins CF, Kiernan TJ. Diagnosing, fast and slow. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2021 Feb;97(1144):103-109. Epub 2020 Jun 28.
PMID: 32595113 DOI: 10.1136/postgradmedj-2019-137412
13. Mullins CF, A. Psirides. Activites of a Medical Emergency Team: a prospective observational study of 795 calls. Anaesth Intensive Care 2016 Jan;44(1):34-43. PMID: 26673587 DOI: 10.1177/0310057X1604400107
14. Mullins CF, C O’Brien, TC O’Connor. Novel use of combined electromyography and ultrasound to guide quadratus lumborum block after open appendicectomy. BMJ Case Rep. 2017 May 15;2017:bcr2017219680.
PMID: 28512101 PMCID: PMC5753701 DOI: 10.1136/bcr-2017-219680
15. Mullins C, O'Loughlin L, Albus U, Skelly JR, Smith J. Managing epidural catheters in critical care beds: An observation analysis in the Republic of Ireland. J Perioper Pract. 2018 Oct 29:1750458918808153.
PMID: 30372362. DOI: 10.1177/1750458918808153.
16. MZ Johnson, Mullins CF, D Keane, I Browne. Emergency salpingectomy for ruptured ectopic pregnancy in patient with Melnick-Needles syndrome: a rare otopalatodigital syndrome. BMJ Case Rep. 2017 Dec 13;2017:bcr-2017-221334. PMID: 29237658. DOI: 10.1136/bcr-2017-221334.
17. Mullins CF, Coughlan J. Should you trust health advice you receive on social media? RTÉ Brainstorm, Sept 2020 https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0921/1166484-health-advice-social-media-twitter-facebook/
18. Coughlan J, Mullins CF. How can doctors make better decisions and reduce clinical errors? RTÉ Brainstorm, Sept 2020
19. Coughlan J, Mullins CF.Communication in the Time of Corona - The Rise of the Virtual Clinic.HealthManagement, Vol 20, Issue 7, 2020
20. Coughlan J, Mullins CF. Delivering Acute Cardiac Care During a Pandemic: Seeds of Opportunity Within a Crisis. HealthManagement, Vol 20, Issue 4, 2020
21. Mullins CF, Das. B. Back Pain in General Practice. Irish Medical Times April 2020
** End **