Welcome to the Occupational Health Department
"To help the South Infirmary - Victoria University Hospital reach its potential through its people".
Occupational Health is the promotion and maintenance of the highest degree of physical, mental and social well-being of workers in all occupations by preventing departures from health, controlling risks and the adaptation of work to people and people to their jobs. The aim of the Occupational Health Department is to achieve excellence and quality in the efficient delivery of a comprehensive occupational health service, by protecting, maintaining and promoting the health of all employees, while encompassing this with regulatory and policy compliance.
The purpose of the Occupational Health Department is to provide an independent and confidential service to employees regarding all aspects of health relating to their work through provision of the following services;
- Ensure health interview/screening of all prospective employees – organizing medical examinations, as necessary.
- Advice on & administration of vaccination programmes e.g. Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis, MMR etc.
- Provide First aid treatment to employees who sustain injuries or accidents while at work. It should be noted that the Occupational Health Department does not provide a General Practice service for staff.
- Counselling of staff, post incidents e.g. needle stick, blood/body fluid exposure, violent incident and injury etc.
- Provide information to all personnel on all health-related matters & in particular, assisting the provision of advice on measures to eliminate/reduce occupational ill health & injury.
- Participate in the implementation of Safety Health & Welfare Policy that applies to the South Infirmary- Victoria University Hospital
- Liase with the Department Head concerning Occupational Health issues.
- Provide support where appropriate to personnel & advice on measures to reduce absenteeism.
The department is situated just inside the main South Infirmary- Victoria University carpark entrance on the Old Blackrock Road on the left hand side directly behind the Security base.
- Ms. Regina d'Arcy, Occupational Health Clinical Nurse Manager III
- Ms Colette O'Donoghue, Occupational Health Clinical Nurse Manager I
- Dr. John Gallagher, Consultant in Occupational Health Medicine
- Ms. Joanne Healy, Clerical Officer
Occupational Health Department,
South Infirmary – Victoria University Hospital
Old Blackrock Road, Cork.
Telephone: 021 4926103
The service is available Monday to Friday and the visiting consultant attends one morning per week.
The Occupational Health Department will provide its service to the hospital from;
Monday to Thursday 8.00a.m. - 5.00 p.m.
Friday 8.00a.m. - 1.00p.m.
Occupational Health Physicians clinics are held on Thursday mornings from 9.00am to 11.00am. Visits to this clinic are by appointment only.