Women’s Health/ Continence Management
Physiotherapy has a role in the treatment of Obstetric / Gynaecological patients. We do not have an Obstetric department here in SIVUH but we receive referrals from the surgical wards and OPD.
In- Patient service:
We mainly treat women after surgery e.g. Hysterectomy.
Treatment consists of:
- chest care i.e. keeping the lungs clear
- leg exercises to help prevent DVT (deep vein thrombosis)
- in some cases, pelvic floor exercise
Out- Patient service:
Conditions that Physiotherapy can treat include
- Stress incontinence
- Urge incontinence (or “overactive bladder”)
- Certain degrees of pelvic organ prolapse (e.g. bladder, uterus)
- Faecal incontinence
After assessment, treatment for stress incontinence and prolapse includes the following
- Pelvic floor exercises
- Surface EMG biofeedback
- Electrical stimulation of pelvic floor muscles.
- Bladder training to manage Urgency ( overactive bladder)
Assessment & Treatment of patients needing pelvic floor rehabilitation takes place in a private room within the department, separate from the main cubicled treatment area so privacy is ensured.